Thursday, November 5, 2009

X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas#2 (Why is Agents of Atlas my favorite Marvel book?)

X-Men vs. Agents of Atlas#2

Writer: Jeff Parker


Artists: Carlo Pagulayan, Gabriel Hardman, Chris Samnee, and Carlos Rodrieguez w/ inks by Jason Paz, Hardman, Samnee, and Terry Pallot


Price: $3.99


Publisher: Marvel Comics


So here we have the second and last part of the X-Men vs Agents of Atlas mini-series. This has to be the best Marvel mini-series I've read in a loooooong time. Jeff Parker yet again shows us just how well he can write superhero teams: pretty darn well. In fact in my opinion Parker is the best at writing superhero teams currently. When certain writers write teams poorly *coughbrianmichaelbendiscough* Parker comes along and shows everyone how it's done. He has the teams working together, helping each other, planning ahead, etc. With each issue of Agents of Atlas I read I slowly become more emotionally attached to each member of the team. When I first read AoA I thought, "Who the heck are Namora and Venus?" Now Venus and Namora are some of my favorite comic book characters. I think the reason why not many people are buying this book is because most people probably don't buy this book is because they don't recognize the characters. At first people didn't care about Wolverine until the Claremont/Bryne run on Uncanny X-Men and look at him now. He's in just about every Marvel book! The characters in AoA are awesome and should be more recognized.

In the previous issue there was a back-up story which I assume most people thought that it wasn't part of the main story. But in this issue Parker does something I didn't see coming at all. He made the back-up story part of the main story which I thought was pretty clever. At the end of the story it sets up something that I'm looking forward to and since I am not a fan of spoilers I will rarely provide any in my reviews. I'll put a warning at the beginning if there are any. This book is definetly worth 4 dollars. It's double the size of a standard comic book and contains an awesome story and awesome art. And you know what the best part is? It's only two issues. So you don't feel like you're wasting money. This book is great and an excellent spot to jump in on Agents of Atlas. So, if you're not reading AoA... READ IT! If you don't want to buy it, that's fine, then just read it in a comic book store. Trust me, it's that awesome of a book! :)

Rating: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment