Thursday, February 11, 2010

R.E.B.E.L.S.#13 REVIEW (The Agents of Atlas of the DCU)


Wow its been a long time since I did a review, so hopefully with this review I can get back on track. Here we go:
R.E.B.E.L.S.#13
Written by: Tony Bedard
Art by: Claude St. Aubin
Inks by: Scott Hanna
Cover by: Kalman Andrasofszky
Price: $2.99
Publisher: DC Comics
This has to be one of DC's most under appreciated books ever. I found out about this book through the Blackest Night ring promotion and through a couple review on the comic culture warrior youtube channel. I had doubts about whether I would like this book or not since I knew absolutely nothing about the characters in the book, but when I did read the book Bedard did a nice job summarizing what has happened with these characters and who they are (see R.E.B.E.L.S.#1 and 10).
Bedard does a really nice job making this an incredibly fun book to read and does a great job on making these characters enjoyable, easy to relate to and easy to care for. Bedard got me quickly emotionally invested into the characters which I found similar results in Green Lantern Corps and Invincible Iron Man, which I absolutely love. I love it when stories get you into the characters and make them easy to care for and when they're not just paper cut-out characters. Another great thing about this book is it is full of exciting and fun-filled space adventures. At times it feels a lot like a Star Wars, Star Trek, and/or Battlestar Galatica type of adventure and it is amazing. The level of imagination that goes into this book is incredible and it clearly shows throughout the book. The humor that is snuck into the book is also very interesting and funny. It always comes at the least expected times which shows that Bedard has great comedic timing.
The art really goes nicely with Bedard's script. It flows and adds a level of enjoyment to the book. The spaceship, character and costume designs are all very interesting and a treat for the eyes and again gives the book a nice space adventure feel to it. In just 2-3 months this book has quickly shot up to the list of comic books that I have to read every month. If you aren't reading this you should be. If you don't like it, that's fine. If you do like it, great! This is a book that needs more attention and more people buying the book. Like I said in the title: it's the Agents of Atlas of the DCU. I would hate to have this book meet the same fate as a few of my other favorite books such as, Agents of Atlas and Captain Britain and MI13, have meet.
Rating: A




No comments:

Post a Comment